The major component of this interactive guide, the Lucid key, provides the means to easily identify the 67 families of Hymenoptera that occur across Australasia. The key contains over 250 full-colour, clearly annotated illustrations, using simple terminology, of features which can be seen using good light microscopy. In contrast to traditional paper-based keys, a combination of line drawings, scanning electron micrographs and colour photographs have been used to best illustrate each character.
In addition to the Lucid™ key, What wasp is that? contains hundreds of colour photographs and comprehensive information, including external hyperlinks, on:
- the morphology of the Hymenoptera, including annotated drawings of the morphological terms used throughout the guide and Lucid key;
- the families, including images, biologies and defining characters;
- the diverse biology and ecology of the group, including parasitism, eusociality, herbivory, pollination, biological control, invasive species and environmental monitoring and conservation;
- the systematics of the Hymenoptera, with current classification, phylogeny and number of described species of Australian and New Zealand Hymenoptera, including introduced taxa;
- a range of collecting techniques for taxonomic purposes and ecological studies; and
- a comprehensive bibliography of published literature.